Polish Spaghetti Sauce
Time to prepare: About an hour
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion
4 large garlic cloves -- minced
1 can tomato sauce -- 8 oz.
½ cup ketchup
2 cans water -- 8 oz.
1 can tomato paste -- 6 oz.
1 bay leaf
1. Brown ground beef in a skillet and drain thoroughly.
2. In a 3 qt. pan, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
3. Add minced garlic near the end of cooking the onions.
4. Add meat to onion and garlic.
5. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, water, tomato paste and bay leaf.
6. Simmer for 1 hour adjusting water as needed to desired thickness. .
What you should know:
A regular cast iron skillet won't be big enough. Consider a large heavy pot or Dutch oven to prepare this meal.
Consider dicing your onions in advance before your campout to save time in the kitchen.
Suggested Cooking Tools:
Heavy pot with lid or Dutch oven