Mountain Man Breakfast
Time to prepare: About 90 minutes
1 pound bacon or sausage
1 (2 pound) package frozen hash brown potatoes
2 medium yellow onions, diced
Salt and pepper to season potatoes and eggs
1 fresh jalapeno or small can of green chilis (optional)
12 eggs, beaten with a whisk
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
Fresh salsa to serve (optional)
1. Prepare coals.
2. Heat a 12" Dutch oven using 18-20 briquettes under oven until hot.
3. Cut bacon into 1 inch slices or if using sausage cut into 1 inch pieces.
4. Add to Dutch oven and fry until brown.
5. Add onions and saute until onions are translucent.
6. Add potatoes and jalapeno pepper or green chilis and season with salt and pepper.
7. Cover and bake using 8 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 30 minutes.
8. Season eggs with salt and pepper then pour eggs over top of potatoes. Cover and bake another 20 minutes.
9. Stir gently every 5 minutes.
10. When eggs are done, cover top with cheese and replace lid. Let stand until cheese is melted.
Serve topped with fresh salsa if desired.
Start the coals first thing in the morning! You can also cook the bacon or sausage in a skillet and move to the Dutch oven. Line Dutch oven with aluminum foil to help with clean-up.
Suggested Cooking Tools:
Cast iron skillet